Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Devil Made Me Do It...

Just a short post for an amazing hike.


I had a Friday off and the promise of possibly taking some guests on a hike to somewhere I have not been yet. I decided in my mind the night before that I would go no matter what and I am glad I did. Although our members dropped out of the hike to spend the day with their kids, I mean really who does that, I journeyed off on my own. I was off to the Devil's Causeway. The Causeway can be reached from the ranch, it is about a ten mile hike to get there, orrrrr you can drive two hours completely around to the other side of the mountain range, through Yampa and access the trail at Stillwater Reservoir. I opted for the second seeing that I was in no rush to complete the day.

On this hike, I feel deeper in love with Colorado. I have gone far beyond the crush, infatuation stage and have clearly gone to undeniable love. I almost hate to admit that I love this state more than Alaska. Although I will still always consider AK my first love and attribute it to the beginning of my adult life.

The trail was bursting with wildflowers, mountain lakes, Marmot's the size of small sheep and just pure natural beauty. The causeway itself is nothing more than a twenty feet length of rock that measures four feet across connecting two stretches of mountains. Oh yea not to forget the 12,000 feet elevation. Enough of the writing. enjoy the pictures!

No comments: